Monday, May 11, 2015

Uncle Marty (RIP)






















My Uncle, Martin Rothschild died on Thursday after a long battle with Cancer. He was a great man, and an incredible Uncle... I really wish I was a better nephew to him. I was lucky enough to spend last week with him. I played an awesome game of chess with him last week; I beat him but he had material advantage over me (he had taken more chess pieces from me than I did of him)

He did many things with me and for me. I feel a lot of the good attributes that I have are related to him and his care. Here is a brief and definitely not complete list of all the things I remember doing with him. I also listed some of the things that he taught me how to do.

How to throw an American football

How to catch an American football

How great NY bagels are

How to long distance jog/run

The philosophical importance of Sunsets

Showing me how great NYC is

How magical driving around La Mesa is early in the morning

How to take care and enjoy yourself

My first time behind the wheel of a car

Finding optimal moments to fall asleep during a La Jolla Playhouse production

How to be a great father

How to bet at the horse race track

The strategy of "attacking the square" in a game of chess

The etiquette of Queen in danger in a game of chess

My first visit to the Empire State Building

Starlight Express (with my Aunt Paula and cousins, etc...)

My first NY Mets game

How great having and being family is

etc...