Sunday, November 13, 2011

Quotes - Fine Art. Part 2

I posted a collection of quotes over the summer. Since I got such a great response, I decided to post more that have been kicking around and gathered.

“Good art should elicit a response of 'Huh? Wow!' as opposed to 'Wow! Huh?'” 

“Every time I have had a problem, I have confronted it with the ax of art.” 

“Young artists of today need no longer say, “I am a painter” or “a poet” or “a dancer.” They are simply “artists.” All of life will be open to them.” 

“We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted.” 

“Only the man who says no is free” 
“The mental space left by the reduction of our needs is taken up by those talents – artistic, poetic and scientific – which multiply and take deep root. They become the true needs of society. They spring from a necessity to produce and not from a necessity to consume.” 

“The word 'art' interests me very much. If it comes from Sanskrit, as I've heard, it signifies 'making.” 

“Everything is expressed through relationships.” 

“If you look at the size of the art world in terms of the money that is being transacted compared to other parts of the 'consciousness industry,' it is minuscule. But if you look at what happens in this small sector, how it rubs off on the rest of it, it is astonishing.”  

“What gets an artist out of bed is the possibility of actually making something with infinite meaning.” 

“Theory is when you have ideas; ideology is when ideas have you.”