Saturday, August 27, 2011

Detoxifying the studio

With my interest in all things sustainable (and how all things can be sustainable), I often have the discussion with others about keeping my studio toxin-free, or keeping it as low-toxic as possible. I grew up around the block from a Superfund site, which I believe is why I had intense respiratory problems as a child-young adult (including long term hospitalization). Therefore it is really necessary whenever I work with Oils, Acrylics, or household paint in my studio, that I have my small Austin Air-purifier always turned on. I usually use a large Austin Air-purifier for new materials (plastics, etc...) which are offgassing.

I often wonder if Fine Artists like Eva Hesse had this or had taken more precautions, would she still still be creating work today? To be sure Van Gogh died from toxic poisoning from paint.

I often tell Fine Artists that it isn't worth dying to make your work. Especially when you can use materials that are non-toxic, or where you can keep the toxicity to minimum contact.