Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Answering Machine (Questions and Answers) - part 3.75

Following my last "The Answering Machine (Questions and Answers)" post I received a number of questions wanting clarification and further explanation.

Your early works are very conceptual (needing almost not to be physically produced), why did you abandon this?

I believe many early conceptual works were the basis for most, if not all, of the current marketing/advertising tropes (see: Conceptual Art and the Politics of Publicity). The Con(temporary) fine art world has a sort of trickle down method that gets out to society via collectors, gallerists, etc. I am against the creation of  "pure" conceptual work and thus marketing and some other business strategies (yes, this is hyperbole, I am writing to you from my own blog/website), that summarize, limit, and obtain for their own self congratulations/self promotional/interest use.

Some of your Fine Artist of the Month posts are unintelligible, confusing, and/or offensive to the Fine Artists you are trying honor.

The main goal of the Fine Artist of the Month (FAOTM) is to honor the Fine Artist (note: not the work of ) who I am usually extremely familiar with. I believe I am giving their work new dimension and extension. I want people to find out more of who they are and to those who are familiar, give them a new perspective or reading of their work. I try to pick a medium and style that helps extend their work. Most of the posts now have many hyperlinks to help clarify certain ideas, my suggestion is to click and read all of them. Some of these ideas and attributes might go against the given Fine Artist's core values. For the most part many of the Fine Artists have expressed their happiness and are grateful, I am still waiting on some to acknowledge the entries. I try not trophitize (if you examine/consider all the details) nor to limit their work, but this happens with any public admiration, critique, affection, writing about, etc...

Why don't you write or post everyday on your blog?  I love your writing, why don't you write more?

Like I have posted before and above I am not interested in "pure" marketing/interneting/consuming. I only have X amount of time in this world, just like you. I am interested in interacting with the world much like Glenn Gould did in the 2nd half off his life. I don't feel anyone (regardless of their profession) should be posting more than once a week, maybe even that is too much... maybe it should just be a really great post once a month... maybe once a year. All joking aside, I am much more interested in producing, than consuming (similar to Gabriel Tarde and Liam Gillick).

As for the second question, writing has come as a sort of necessary addition and extension of my own work. I remember reading in an interview in a Mike Kelley book that he started writing because most critics dumb-downed his work and understanding of the scope of the work. I also feel my writing is essential to publicly clarify the context, nature and scope of my work. I have little interest in writing much outside the context of this website (though I do, and about other topics as well). Please note I wish not to fetishize writing, or have my work rely solely on writing like other fine artists.

What's your deal with the color combination: red, green, and blue?

Great question, I find them to be our global current/(con)temporary colors, RGB colors have been my long time fascination, which I like to think of as the primary painting colors of our time, as opposed to the RYB colors of the 20th century Modernist/formalist fine art era. Though this color combination has been in use for the past few years, I am only trying to use this combination sparingly and exclusively for my more social interventions and installations.